Sunday, October 01, 2006

Plasta-what?

Plastination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastination It’s an interesting method used to conserve body parts. And it’s utilized in a somewhat controversial exhibit called Body Worlds.

I went this past weekend to the exhibit here in Vancouver. I was unsure about how I would feel about walking around staring at a bunch of cut up dead people put in different poses. As it turns out, the hype seemed a bit overblown compared to the actual exhibit. And in fact, the cost to get in to see the exhibit, for which the venue increased their regular price by 50%, was just too much.

Now, I do have to say that I did find it interesting to see smokers lungs, enlarged hearts, arthritic joints, replacement joints and bone pins along with specimens of healthy organs and a full skin “suit”. However, there really is only so many times you can look at a skeleton, even with musculature, no matter what pose you put them in.

Then again, maybe it’s just me. It could very well be worth it to those people who have a greater interest in the human body, or those that don’t have a lot of access to these things in books or schooling.

I guess what I’m trying so eloquently to say is, if you’re interested and have the means then go check it out. But if you don’t really care that much but feel like you should go see it because of the hype or controversy or whatever, then I’d recommend finding something else to spend your time and money on.

1 Comments:

Blogger jette said...

I think I (someone who has an interest in anatomy, biology, medicine etc) would have enjoyed it much more if it wasn't so crowded. Great exhibit, seriously overpriced.

9:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home