Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Enlightened Masses

OK, today you get a twofer.

The Playstation 3 was released this Friday. Only 400,000 units were available for all of North America. Now, this is no where near the number of units that would actually fulfill demand. However, it is enough to create a super media hype about the product and drive people to line up for days to get their hands on one. One begins to think that perhaps the “production problems” Sony had were perhaps artificially created. “Oh! No wonder we only have 400,000 units. We totally forgot to turn on the second, third and fourth production lines! Silly us.” And of course, even with only 400k units, they would still HAVE to release now. Imagine the publicity they would lose if they waited another week or two when they could double the amount of units available. But really, you can’t fault Sony for wanting to create a big media hype and artificially increase demand. Well, maybe you can. You can also, however, call the thousands of people who have been waiting for days to buy the new console so that they can sell it on e-bay idiots. Now, I guess I can’t say they are complete idiots, since they will likely sell them for a nice profit. The bigger idiots are the people who are actually going to pay 2x to 3x the retail price just to have the machine before Christmas. Sometimes corporate America, and the seemingly innate greed of the American public just astounds me. And after writing this I can’t decide if I should stick with my original thought of “they are all dumb” or if I’m the stupid one for not getting in on it.

Now what makes this a twofer is the recent stormy weather the greater Vancouver area has had. It was bad enough to churn up the three major water reservoirs, which in turn prompted officials to put out a boil water advisory for the whole area. So the waters a little dirty, and you should boil it to ensure you kill off any bacteria and parasites that may get through the disinfecting process. Not difficult. But that’s apparently not easier than buying some bottled water and using that instead. Now, generally I believe that most people are somewhat rational, but what went on around here this weekend after the advisory makes me want to change my mind. People started clamouring to buy 50-100 bottles of water each. There were nearly fistfights from al the pushing and shoving to get at the water at the big superstore type places. Even the neighbourhood grocery stored had people pushing carts stacked up with cases of bottled water. It’s like they were going to use it to bathe with. I understand hotels and restaurants using the larger 5-10 gallon jugs to wash and cook their food so they can ensure the food they provide won’t make anyone sick. But c’mon. A single person does not need 7 cases of water to get through two or three days of a water advisory. And after writing this, I still have no problems with calling anyone who walked out of a grocery store with any more than a single case of bottled water for themselves stupid. There is being prepared, and then there is grossly overreacting to an event that could possibly cause you some discomfort. I say again. Stupid.

PS. It was really clear yesterday and the snowy mountain caps were visible along our entire panoramic view. I likey.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

My Love, you have gone from a boy who would care little about the goings-on of the world around you to a man with harsh, astute and ready opinions...I am so proud of you! *sniff*

12:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't abide the abandonment of reason for pure mass hysteria adn stupidity. Which is somewhat ironic since I've been told on a number of occasions that I lack the necessary common sence to have made it this far in life. -- Rod

3:04 p.m.  
Blogger Gail at Large said...

People are weird, like sheep. Ever tried to herd sheep? They'll follow each other off a cliff.

8:56 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fancy! You told her to say something about sheep didn't you?!? I know you did! -- Rod

1:26 p.m.  
Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

I swear, I made no mention of animals and tool belts full of feed.

8:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home